Inspired by Kimberbell’s adorable Love Notes Quilt for sewing and machine embroidery, our “Lava” Notes Cake is a decadent dessert perfect for Valentine’s Day or any day needing chocolate (so, you know, every day). Served right out of the oven, each little cake includes a molten chocolate center sure to melt your heart!
P.S. To make Kimberbell’s Love Notes quilt, please visit our Store Locator!
P.P.S. Happy Valentine’s Day from the Kimberbell family!
6 oz semi-sweet chocolate (high quality baking bars, coarsely chopped)
½ cup butter (salted is just fine!)
¼ cup flour (leveled with a knife)
½ cup powdered sugar
⅛ tsp. salt
2 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Spray (and flour) four 6 oz ramekins* with nonstick cooking spray.
- Chop semi-sweet chocolate and butter into small-ish pieces. Combine in a glass bowl and microwave on high. Stir after every 10 seconds until completely melted and smooth.
- Whisk flour, powdered sugar, and salt together.
- Mix eggs, egg yolks, and vanilla together in a stand mixer. Slowly pour in melted chocolate/butter and flour/sugar/salt mixtures until combined.
- Spoon chocolate batter into the prepared ramekins and bake for 12-14 minutes.
- Remove cakes from the oven and let them cool for one minute. Place a dessert plate on top of the ramekin and quickly flip the cake onto the plate. (Use an oven mitt so you don’t burn yourself!)
- Sift with powdered sugar and add toppings such as ice cream, berries, syrups, (love potion reductions…) etc.
- Serve immediately and enjoy with someone YOU love!
*Ramekins are fancy little bowls that people make creme brulees, puddings, souffles, and “Lava” Notes Cakes in. 🙂